The Three Pubs Race

»«Saturday 3rd October 2015

It was hard for cruisers to find the Creeksea start line in thick fog. Race Officer, George Winder, on Sprite did spot Verlette make a good start in a fickle wind.  A grey shadow turned out to be Scarlet, Sarah Brown and Zoe O'Connell's recently purchased Sun Odyssey 30. The rest of the fleet took a bit of time to loom into sight and start.

When the sun began to eat up the mist, late entry Otra Vez helmed by Jude Prestwich and crewed by Andy started and picked her way through most of the fleet.  Even the faint puffs of wind began to die so the course was shortened at Black Point. Otra Vez was 2nd, Scarlet 3rd, Bob Kirkby's Sherpa 4th and Chrissie Nolan gaining ground helming Zelda, followed. But Steve and Katherine Barham, in Verlette, stayed a long way ahead to win.

Racing boats were joined at Fambridge by the motorboat crews of John Heathfield's Aquarius, Phil Shanahan's Nemo, and Andy Wood-Hill's Boscollina.  Mark Eagling also took his mum, Wendy there on the Club RIB. Others arrived for lunch at the first Pub – The Ferry Boat - by car.

No wind meant race 2, back to Burnham was cancelled and all boats motored downriver. Cruisers enjoyed this perfect, smooth, relaxing windless afternoon in sunshine under motor. The last race began at sunset on the front doorstep on the second Pub – The White Harte. (At this stage a couple of motorboats had failed to show up at the second venue – the clue is in the name – and were disqualified.)

Twelve runners navigated the busy Quayside armed only with spoons and a dozen eggs between them – dropped eggs incurred a 360 degree turn. First at the Corinthian Tavern was Sarah Brown, second Katherine Becker and third was Al, one of Sherpa's runners.  Supper at the Corinthian Tavern was followed by pub games for those who could not endure the Rugby being shown on the pub telly.  And the overall result of all three legs with drinks taken in each venue was 1st Verlette, 2nd Scarlet, 3rd Sherpa.

Arthur Heasley